Tourism Winnipeg

2019 Visitors Guide

Issue link:

Contents of this Issue


Page 7 of 107

Border Regulations TRAVELLING TO CANADA FROM THE UNITED STATES When travelling by air between the U.S. and Canada, you are required to present a U.S. passport. This applies to everyone including newborns, infants and children. When travelling by land or sea to Canada a passport is not required but is strongly recommended. Alternatively, you will need other documentation that shows proof of American citizenship such as a birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization or a Certificate of Indian Status, plus a photo ID. Please be advised that you will need to comply with stricter U.S. entry requirements to return to the U.S. U.S. and Canadian citizen children under age 19 arriving by bus or train and travelling with a school group do not require a passport. The student may present an original or copy of their birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a Naturalization Certificate, or a Canadian Citizenship Card. Arrivals by air travel require a passport. Tourism Winnipeg advises U.S. residents to visit for the most up-to-date information. FROM COUNTRIES OTHER THAN THE UNITED STATES Passports are required. Visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa. For more information visit visit or call: Outside Canada: 1.800.992.7037 Within Canada: 1.888.242.2100 PETS Please have a vaccination certificate with full information on the animal. FIREARMS Please contact the Canadian Firearms Centre at 1.800.731.4000 or for more information. RETURNING TO THE UNITED STATES Each person returning to the U.S. from Canada may purchase and declare the following: $200 goods duty-free after a stay of less than 48 hours. Duty-free products — 50 cigarettes and 10 cigars, and 150 millilitres (5 fl. oz.) of alcoholic beverages or 150 millilitres (5 fl. oz.) of perfume containing alcohol. $800 goods duty-free after a stay of more than 48 hours. Duty-free products — 1 litre (33.8 fl. oz.) alcohol or 24 cans of beer, 200 cigarettes, and 100 cigars. For further information on U.S. Customs regulations, please go to For U.S. Customs information at the Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport please call 204.783.2206. BRINGING CHILDREN INTO CANADA Adults travelling with children should carry identification for each child. Divorced parents who share custody of their children should carry copies of the legal custody documents. Adults who are not parents or guardians should have written permission from the parents or guardians to supervise the children. When travelling with a group of vehicles, parents or guardians should be in the same vehicle as the children when arriving at the border. Customs officers are looking for missing children and may ask questions about the children who are travelling with you. Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport: Kevin Legge 6 2019 OFFICIAL VISITOR'S GUIDE WINNIPEG

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

view archives of Tourism Winnipeg - 2019 Visitors Guide